Baked Flour Tortilla Chips
Light, flaky, and crisp, seasoned with a variety of sweet and savory spices, Baked Flour Tortilla Chips are a satisfying low-guilt snack.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Servings 8 to 16 chips per 8-inch tortilla (depending on cutting method)
- 6- to 8-inch flour tortillas
- olive or vegetable oil (savory chips) OR
- melted butter (sweet chips)
- spices and seasonings , to taste
Savory Chip Seasoning Ideas:
- Sea Salt
- Italian Herbs and grated Parmigiano Reggiano (thyme, oregano, rosemary, basil)
- Za'atar Seasoning (sumac, seasame seeds, cumin, thyme, oregano, marjoram)
- Hungarian Paprika, Sea Salt, and Garlic Powder
- Garlic Powder, grated Parmiggiano Reggiano, and Sea Salt
Sweet Chip Ideas:
- Cinnamon Sugar (1/4 cup granulated sugar mixed with 1-1/2 to 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon, to taste)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Brush each side of a tortilla with about 1/2 teaspoon oil or melted butter. Sprinkle one or both sides of tortilla with seasoning of choice.* Using a sharp knife or pizza wheel, cut tortilla in half and then crosswise into 1-inch wide strips, or simply cut into 8-wedges, and place in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
Bake until light golden brown and crisp 8-12 minutes (see note below), rotating pans halfway through if baking more than one at a time. Cool to room temperature. Baked chips keep well, stored in an airtight tin, for up to a week. (I find that the flavor and texture are actually best after a day or two.)
*The type of seasoning I'm using determines whether or not I season one or both sides of the tortillas. For milder flavors like sea salt and cinnamon-sugar, I'll sprinkle both sides. For more assertive flavors such as Za'atar or Italian Herbs, or any combination using grated cheese, I'll sprinkle only one side. There's really no wrong way to do this. Experiment and find what you and your family like best!
**In testing multiple, we’ve found that baking times will vary by the brand of tortillas you use. Keep a close eye on your first batch and gauge from there.
Calories: 121kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 5g | Sodium: 205mg | Potassium: 45mg | Sugar: 1g | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1mg