Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Mushrooms
Creamy, garlicky, and brimming with four cheeses, Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Mushrooms are an indulgent side dish that's perfect for any holiday dinner.
Adapted from my Spinach and Artichoke Dip
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Yield 12 large mushrooms
Calories 120 kcal
- 8 ounces block-style cream cheese , room temperature
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano Reggiano , grated
- 1/4 cup Italian 4-cheese shred
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 cup chopped spinach (about 1/2 of a frozen 10 oz package, cooked according to package directions, water pressed out in a towel or sieve)
- 1-1/2 cups artichoke hearts *, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper , to taste
- 12 large white stuffing mushrooms (about 2-1/2 inch diameter)
- olive oil (for greasing pan)
To top and bake
- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella OR
- 1/3 cup unseasoned Panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Stuff the mushrooms
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F with rack in middle position.
In a large bowl, mix together cream cheese, mayonnaise, Parmigiano Reggiano, Italian 4-cheese shred, minced garlic, and garlic salt with a wooden spoon or hand mixer until fully combined. Stir in prepared spinach and artichoke hearts by hand.
Clean mushrooms and remove and discard stems. Fill mushrooms with spinach-artichoke mixture by the heaping tablespoonful, pressing filling into the mushroom cavity and slightly mounding.
Make the topping and serve
If using shredded mozzarella topping, sprinkle evenly over the filled mushrooms.
If using Panko topping, stir together breadcrumbs, Parmigiano Reggiano, and salt in a small bowl. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and toss until combined. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the filled mushrooms, pressing gently to adhere.
Grease a large baking sheet or oven-safe skillet with about 2 tablespoons olive oil. Arrange filled and topped mushrooms and bake 23-30 minutes until mushrooms are cooked, filling is hot, and topping is lightly browned. If using breadcrumbs, check about halfway through to make sure they aren't browning too quickly. If they are, gently lay a piece of foil over the mushrooms and continue cooking. Serve hot.
*15-ounce can un-marinated artichoke hearts, rinsed and drained, OR equivalent frozen artichoke hearts, defrosted and cooked according to package directions.