Breakfast Quinoa with Blueberries
With cinnamon, brown sugar, vanilla, and sweet blueberries, this creamy breakfast porridge is tasty, satisfying, and good for you!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 4 servings (or 2, heartily)
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups milk (whole, low fat, almond, or coconut), plus more for serving
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup quinoa , rinsed well
- pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar , plus more for serving
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup blueberries
- sliced almonds or chopped toasted pecans , for topping
In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine water, 1-1/2 cups milk, vanilla extract or paste, rinsed quinoa, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat (stirring occasionally and watching carefully so it doesn't boil over).
Reduce heat to low, cover with lid slightly vented, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in 3 tablespoons brown sugar and the ground cinnamon. Re-cover and continue to simmer for about 5 minutes, until almost all of the liquid has been absorbed.
Remove from heat and gently fold in blueberries. Serve, topped with extra brown sugar, warm milk, and nuts.
Calories: 265kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 47mg | Potassium: 393mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 165IU | Vitamin C: 2.7mg | Calcium: 131mg | Iron: 2.1mg