Mojo Beef Burgers with Tequila-Lime Aioli
This festive gourmet burger recipe, infused with citrusy Mojo Sauce, are perfect for warm-weather cooking! The recipe makes more aioli than you need for the burgers, but we like extra alongside for dipping fries or chips.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 4 burgers
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin (depending on how prominent a cumin flavor you like; I use 1/8 teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 slice farmhouse white bread , crusts removed, bread torn into small pieces (about 1/2 cup)
- 1-1/2 pounds ground chuck (80%/20%)
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1 small garlic clove , minced
- 1 tablespoon tequila
- 1 large yellow onion , sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 avocado , halved and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 4 slices Manchego cheese , Swiss, or Cheddar
- 4 brioche-style hamburger buns
- olive oil , for brushing
In a mixing bowl, stir together orange and lime juices, zests, garlic, cumin, oregano, kosher salt, pepper, and cilantro. Make a "panade" by adding torn bread pieces to the sauce. Stir to combine and let stand 5 minutes. Mash the soaked bread with the back of a spoon until the mixture is a paste-like consistency. Mix in ground beef until the panade is fully distributed (for tender burgers, don't over-mix).
Divide meat into 6-ounce portions and shape into 1/2-inch thick patties. (I use a burger press). Use your knuckles to make a slight indentation in the center of each patty for even cooking.
Heat grill over high heat. Oil grates or line with a non-toxic, nonstick grill mat.
Sear burgers over direct heat, about 3 minutes per side. Move burgers to indirect heat and continue cooking until desired doneness is reached, closing lid and topping with cheese to melt during the last few minutes of cooking.
Brush onion slices with oil. Grill onions over medium heat until soft and caramelized, about 5 minutes per side. Lightly brush insides of buns with oil and grill until toasted, about 1 minute.
Make Tequila-Lime Aioli
Whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, lime zest, garlic, and tequila. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Assemble Burgers and Serve
Calories: 904kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 73g | Saturated Fat: 20g | Cholesterol: 96mg | Sodium: 1401mg | Potassium: 517mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 300IU | Vitamin C: 13.3mg | Calcium: 433mg | Iron: 3.4mg