Grilled Flatbread Pizza with Berries and Fontina
This sweet-savory flatbread, with juicy strawberries, blackberries, and melted fontina is the perfect nosh to serve al fresco this summer with a cold drink. This recipe makes two flatbreads, but if you're serving a smaller party, is easily halved.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 6 to 8 servings
- 1 pound ball pizza dough , room temperature
- vegetable oil , for oiling grill grates
- 1-1/2 cups shredded fontina , divided
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano , divided
- 1 cup California Giant Berry Farms blackberries , divided
- 2 cups California Giant Berry Farms strawberries , sliced and divided
- 1/2 cup baby arugula , roughly chopped and divided
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves , roughly torn and divided
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil , divided
- kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
Make the Flatbreads
Cut the ball of pizza dough in half. Roll each half into a rectangle about 1/8-to 1/4-inch thick. “Dock” the crusts all over with a fork. Transfer to a rimless cookie sheet or metal pizza paddle generously dusted with flour.
Heat grill to 500 degrees F over medium-high flame and oil the grates.
Slide the flatbreads onto the oiled grates. Close the lid on the grill and cook over direct heat for about 3 minutes, until grill marks appear. Use tongs to flip the dough and grill for 2-3 minutes on the second side.
Remove flatbreads from grill and brush the tops with olive oil. Top each with half of the shredded fontina, Parmigiano Reggiano, strawberries, blackberries, a pinch of kosher salt, and freshly-ground black pepper.
Return the flatbreads to the grill over indirect heat (you want the cheese to melt, but don't want to burn the crusts). Close the lid and cook for 3-5 minutes, until cheese is melted.
Top flatbreads with arugula and basil. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil, if desired, and honey-balsamic reduction. Cut into wedges and serve.
To Make the Balsamic Reduction
In a small saucepan, stir together balsamic vinegar and honey. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for about 10 minutes, until reduced by half. Let cool.
Substitutions and Additions:
- Instead of pizza dough, use two large rounds of naan, or a pre-made flatbread from the bakery section of the grocery store. Brush with olive oil and grill 1-2 minutes per side, until warmed and starting to crisp, before topping and proceeding with the recipe as written.
- Like a little extra crunch? Sprinkle the flatbread with chopped walnuts or pecans.
- No fontina? This flatbread is also delicious with shredded asiago or mozzarella, or a combination of cheeses!
- Prefer another mix of berries? Any of Cal Giant's berries would be perfect here. Strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, or blueberries; take your pick or mix them all!
Calories: 408kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 883mg | Potassium: 163mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 475IU | Vitamin C: 33.7mg | Calcium: 256mg | Iron: 2.7mg