Throw a devilish adult Halloween party with this Blackberry El Diablo Halloween Cocktail, developed in partnership with California Giant Berry Farms. As always, all opinions expressed are my own.
Halloween has always been one of my favorite times of year, so when California Giant Berry Farms asked me to craft a cocktail for their “Scary Berries” promotion, I knew this post would be especially fun!
Back in the 80’s and early 90’s, Halloween was an event in my neighborhood. All of us kids (and then, teenagers) dressed up in costumes that we spent weeks agonizing over. The houses were decorated, intricate pumpkins carved, and several of the adults got in costume to greet trick-or-treaters at their doors.
It was one of the best nights of the year.
While I’ve retired my trick-or-treating bag and pumpkin flashlight as a 30-something (I’m lying; I still have the flashlight), I still like to throw a great Halloween party. You’re never too old to have a wicked bash with fun costumes, hors d’oeuvres, and of course, a great Halloween cocktail recipe like this Blackberry El Diablo.
The base of the classic El Diablo cocktail is tequila, crème de cassis (black currant liqueur), and lime. Everything is shaken, poured over ice, and topped with spicy ginger beer.
For a fun twist, I decided to replace the sweet crème de cassis with fresh blackberry syrup and added a splash of Triple Sec.
Blackberry simple syrup is a cinch to make. Just as in my Blackberry-Lemon Mint Juleps, I macerate the blackberries with sugar to draw out their juices. Cal Giant’s gorgeous non-GMO berries are perfect for making a rich syrup.
Strained to a ruby red elixir, the blackberry syrup can be used to add a sweet flavor boost to a number of cocktails and mocktails.
This Blackberry El Diablo cocktail is fruity, spicy, and packs a punch. Like most tequila cocktail recipes (I like to use a smooth resposado here), this one will sneak up on you!
Plus, the vibrant, sinister red color of this cocktail will really set the mood for your adult Halloween party. Talk about “scary berries”!
Need more Halloween party inspiration? Cal Giant has put together an eBook to help you host the best and spookiest Halloween party yet! Click HERE to download their “Scary Berries” book for Halloween recipes, last-minute costume how-to’s, and party ideas that you can use for both kid and adult gatherings.
Find out how to make the adorable Spider Web Cookies in the graphic below, plus 10 other berry-themed Halloween recipes in Cal Giant’s ebook.
Wishing you a wickedly delicious Halloween!
Blackberry El Diablo Halloween Cocktail
- 1/2 pint California Giant Berry Farms blackberries
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 ounces Reposado tequila (3 tablespoons)
- 1/2 ounce fresh lime juice (1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 ounce Triple sec (1 tablespoon)*
- 1 ounce blackberry syrup (2 tablespoons)
- 2-3 ounces ginger beer
Make the Syrup
- Rinse berries and leave damp. Toss in a bowl with sugar. Let sit for 30-45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve, pressing on berries with the back of a spoon to fully release juices. You should have about 1/2 cup blackberry syrup.**
Make the Cocktail
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add tequila, lime juice, triple sec, and blackberry syrup. Cover and shake.
- Strain into a glass filled with fresh ice. Top with ginger beer. Garnish with fresh blackberries.